Extra Credit Reading Notes: Tales of a Parrot, Part A

 Tales of a Parrot by Ziya'al-Din Nakhshabi

Miemun and Khojisteh

- Although I appear in your sight nothing but a handful of feathers, yet, through the power of wisdom and knowledge, I can soar above the sky, and the eloquent are struck with wonder and are astonished on listening to my sweet discourses.

*I'm intrigued by the idea of a parrot holding knowledge and wisdom enough to convince those around it to do its will.*

Kohjisteh and the Parrot

- Seizing the bird fast by both legs, she pulled her out of her cage and struck her against the ground with such violence that the soul took flight from the body, and she expired.

*I can't believe she just killed the bird just like that.*

The Story of the Parrot of Ferukh Beg 

- Woman! Thou, without my having committed any fault, pluckedst out my feathers and afflicted me grievously. It is well thou hast executed what my stars had ordained.

*I like how the woman ends up like the bird and is forced to rely on him for her survival now.*

The Goldsmith, the Carpenter, the Taylor and the Hermit

- ... Tree of Decision; every dispute that men are unable to determine is carried before this tree, from which a voice issues, declaring on whose side there is justice, and whose claim is false.

* I could maybe do something with an impartial and just character that straightens everybody out.*

The Old Lion and the Cat

- I have no care of my own, but your sadness has thrown me into sorrow. 

*I like this phrase for some reason.*

Parrot (Source: Pixabay)

Bibliography: Tales of a Parrot  by Ziya'al-Din Nakhshabi. Website: Mythology and Folklore UN-Textbook

Comments

Popular Posts