Reading Notes: Cupid and Psyche, Part A

Cupid and Psyche by Apuleius

 - I was a little alarmed by the old woman's response to the young girl. If she is meant to be the narrator of the tale of Cupid and Psyche, I'm a little skeptical as to whether I like her in that role because of her reaction to the girl. Her presence thus far is not comforting at all. 

- I just finished "The Dream" and the old lady has just began her story and I am still not interested in her as a narrator. The young lady presents a little bit better of an audience but she is still missing the fundamental things that makes me want to care about her plight.

- I think I would like to incorporate Venus's jealousy into my story somehow. It would be interesting to incorporate a jealousy plot line where one is more powerful than the other but still very jealous because its an innate character trait. 

- I'm enjoying the fantastical elements of this story such as Psyche floating down from the cliff or the invisible servants. It's a good reminder that the doors are wide open for me to do with my story whatever I wish. 

- I wish there were more of a real, developed relationship between Psyche and Cupid. I just can't get into her only knowing his voice and touch, but still being madly in love with him. It feels like they barely know one another yet are still professing their love. I hope to convey more of a solid relationship (in my opinion, it is tough to make it believable) in my version. 

- The jealousy and cruelty of the sisters is shocking. It would be interesting to incorporate that into my new story somehow as well. I think I would like, however, to incorporate more of a relationship between the sisters than is present in this story so that it is more heart wrenching to read.

- The character of Psyche is a little difficult to sympathize with. I think this could be remedied by making her a little less naive.

- I really enjoyed the descriptions in "Psyche's Husband Revealed". The types of descriptions like those of Cupid laying asleep and the lamp's oil burning him are what I want to make sure I include in my story. I also liked the speech that he issued before he flew off from Psyche. It was touching.

- The mystery of this whole story (why Cupid isn't letting her see him) was kind of confusing because of the way it was written. I want to include the mystery but have it be more clear than is written here. 

- I'm confused as to why Cupid says that he will punish the sisters but then Psyche seems to get the revenge herself.

- I thought the death of the sisters was righteous, but I think it gives the story less imagination and beauty than if they were to be forgiven for their transgressions but punished by Psyche's misery. Basically, I want to switch up how the sisters are dealt with in the story. 

                                                            Cupid and Psyche State (Wikimedia Commons)

Bibliography: "Cupid and Psyche" by Apuleius. Website: Myth and Folklore UN-Textbook

Comments

Popular Posts