Reading Notes: Homer's Iliad, Part A

The Iliad  by Homer

- This version of "The Iliad" doesn't go into depth on the relationship between Paris and Helen, but they were in love with each other too, weren't they?

- I'm very interested in the character of Briseis, the girl that Achilles and Agamemnon argue over. Achilles only cares because he is outraged that his honor is being threatened, but poor Briseis, who isn't a part of the argument at all, has no say in the matter. She is treated like property so I wonder what she would say if she could. 

- Zeus's physical threat to Hera was a bit disturbing and I don't like how she and the others just accepted his threat of physical violence as normal. I know that that is typical of mythology, but I think I would like to shake it up somehow. 

- I found Andromache's speech to Hector about him being mother, father, and brother to her was kind of an odd speech even though it was a sweet sentiment. 

- The scene between Hector and Andromache and their baby was a touching moment. It comes in stark contrast to knowing how their story truly ends. 

- I enjoyed Patroclus' death scene because it seemed so dramatic.  

Men of the Iliad (Source: Pikist)

Bibliography: "The Iliad" by Homer, retold by A.J. Church. Website: Mythology and Folklore UN-Textbook

Comments

Popular Posts