Reading Notes: West African Folktales, Part B

 West African Folktales by various authors

How the Tortoise Got Its Shell

- By that time Klo had died, under the weight of his load—which he had been unable to get off his back. There he lay, before the gate, with the pile of palm-trees on top of him.

*What a sad scene! The text kind of just glosses over how traumatic this would really be.*

The Hunter and the Tortoise

- "He brought his punishment on himself. I led a happy life in the forest, singing my little song. He was not content to come and listen to me; he had to tell my secret (which did not at all concern him) to all the world. Had he not tried to make a show of me this would never have happened."

*I find it funny how the turtle obstinately denies him the satisfaction of using her to make himself rich. I also like how the turtle is a female and the hunter a male. I'm always interested in how I could convert these stories into real world situations and I'm sure I could do something with this story.*

King Chameleon and the Animals

- But none of the animals were satisfied with the choice. So as soon as the meeting was over, all scattered in every direction and left Chameleon quite alone.

*I would be interested to play with the idea of a chameleon personality where they are left bereft because of their inability to be themselves. One who pretends to be something they are not will be found out eventually.*

Why Tigers Never Attack Men Unless They Are Provoked

- "Go home," said Tiger, "and remember me always. In future for your sake I will never touch a man unless he first meddles with me."

*Something dangerous making a promise to something weak because of affection. I kind of like the plotline. Not sure what I'd do with it though.*


Turtles Are So Cute (Source: Pixabay)

Bibliography: West African Folktales by various authors. Website: Mythology and Folklore UN-Textbook.


Comments

Popular Posts