Growth Mindset

     I have never actually heard of Carol Dwecker or growth mindset before but it is an interesting concept. Personally, I don't feel like I have a very growth-fixed mindset because I enjoy when things challenge me. However, I do find that when I am bored with or used to whatever I'm working on, I tend to take the easy way out which could signify that I have a slight growth-fixed mindset. 

    Now that I think about it though, when I first came to the University of Oklahoma, I felt greatly discouraged by the fact that I wasn't receiving the grades that I wanted. I remember that it made me feel like I wasn't smart enough to attend. Instead of letting those feelings ruin my future though, I adapted the way that I was approaching the situation and eventually I did receive the grade that I had desired. If I was looking at this situation from a growth-mindset perspective, however, I shouldn't have been so focused on receiving that decent grade. Rather, I should have focused on the process, reward, and growth of getting there.

     I would definitely be most interested in learning more about growth-mindset. I would also add that a personal goal that I have for this semester is to apply the growth-mindset and actively try to learn and expand my mind rather than just try to get by. 

                                                          Growth Mindset Chart from AOT

Comments

Popular Posts