Introduction to an Animal-Loving, Astrology-Following, Music-Blasting English Major

    Hi everyone, 

    My name is Riley Flaherty. I'm a senior English major who moved from Miami, Oklahoma to attend the University of Oklahoma in the fall of 2019. Being an English major can be tough sometimes, especially when you have to write fifty-three essays in a five month long semester, but I really enjoy my major and the people in my major because I feel that they are so diverse and unique. I also appreciate the fact that I get to be so much more creative with my work because there really is no black and white answer. 

    Outside of school, I have four pets who I love dearly. Two of them live with me here in Norman while I left the other two at home in Miami with my parents because it wasn't plausible for them to come with me. The two who still live in Miami with my parents are potbellied pigs named Squeaky and Huey. I've had them for three years and my mom takes excellent care of them now that I've moved. Contrary to popular belief, they are not only extremely intelligent but also very emotionally intelligent and they make amazing, compassionate, if headstrong, pets. They also provide a nice challenge because they can and will outwit you at every turn. There's a picture of them included below. My other two pets who live here with me in Norman are my cat, Pookie, and my axolotl, Fluffy. Pookie is a tubby butt who loves taking naps and eating treats (she could honestly be the spokescat for Temptations with how much she loves them) and Fluffykins really doesn't do much besides swim and eat worms. I will include pictures of them below as well. 

    Other than hanging out with my friends or my animals, I enjoy reading, watching movies, listening to music, exercising and cooking.  I am also extremely drawn to anything mystical so I really love researching things about astrology and reading tarot cards. I'm a Cancer Sun, Taurus Moon, Scorpio Rising and I'd be interested to know what your signs are too, if you know them! If you've never heard of tarot card readings on Youtube, you should check it out! They're super interesting and just fun for a laugh every now and again. I'm in some serious need of new songs to listen to as well so if you have any suggestions, please let me know! Some of my favorite songs are "Laugh, I Nearly Died" by the Rolling Stones, "Runaway" by Kanye West, "A Thousand Bad Times" by Post Malone, "Give Me One Reason" by Tracy Chapman, "Vienna" by Billy Joel, and "Beautiful Loser" by Bob Seger. I know most of these are older songs but I have a very broad range of music I listen to so I'd be grateful for any suggestions. I love easy listening songs with smooth vocals and bumping background music. 

    When I'm not attending school or chilling at home, I'm usually working at Sherwin Williams where I mix paint and help people decide on the best product to use for the paint job they're wanting to do. As to my educational career, I hope to graduate in May with my bachelors degree and, from there, potentially move onto law school. 

    I have really been wanting to plan a trip to the desert for sometime in the future. I would love to be able to drive out to the desert somewhere and stay in a cabin with a hot tub. Just imagining how the stars will look when I get there makes me very excited so if anyone knows of any good deserts to visit, let me know! I would also be interested to hear about other people's pets or future vacation plans. 

    Thanks for reading! 

                                (personal photo of my pigs; photo from July 31st, 2020)

                                    (personal photo of my cat; photo from July 21st, 2020)

                                (personal photo of my axolotl; photo from July 2nd, 2020)

Comments

  1. Hi Riley!

    First off, love the pigs and the axolotl. I love animals but I am living in a space that does not permit them. However, as soon as I graduate, I am getting a pet! I just haven't decided what yet. My extended family lives right over the Missouri Oklahoma line, so I know exactly where you are from! My grandpa actually graduated college from Miami! I love that you are passionate about your major. I think that sometimes the repetitive actions of assignments can bog down a certain major but you still have a drive for it and that is awesome! I loved getting to know a little bit more about you!

    With love,
    Brynlee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's up Riley!

    You just made my entire day with the fact that you have pigs as pets. I have and forever will want a pig as a pet and have done countless hours of begging my mom to get me a pig, fortunately we compromised on a dog that I love dearly. I share in your agony as I write a ton for my major, which is Journalism. I hope that your passion for writing only grows greater during this class, as I hope mine will as well! I hope you have a fantastic semester!

    Best,
    Payton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Riley! I loved learning a little bit more about you! That is so cool you are an English major! I am in Gaylord so I totally understand how writing so many essays a semester can be a lot, but I love writing too! Also I loved how you shared your pets with us! I have never met anyone who owns a pig before but I think thats so awesome. You cat is adorable! I am a huge cat lover so I love to see someone else in the class shared a love for cats! It was so nice meeting you and I hope your semester is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Riley!
    (I'm responding to your comment on my introduction blog!) Thank for the awesome comment! I have taken the Pottermore tests multiple times and I'm always a Hufflepuff and my patronus is an otter!(like Hermione!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Riley! It is so awesome getting to know you. It is so cool that you have pigs I wanted to have a pig for like three years and it is so awesome to know them they are still in good hands. I would love to go to the dessert and stargaze. I love the stars and I really love how beautiful the sky can be I could stare at the stars for hours and I would be happy. I am excited to get to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Riley!

    My grandfather grew up in Miami. I've never been there, but I hope to make it a stop on one of my Route 66 trips. My friend has a potbelly pig named Maybel. She's just as (if not more) spoiled as her human children. I love hearing her Maybel stories. You should totally work your potbelly pigs into some of your stories.

    I love your outlook on English majors. I'm a Secondary ELA major, and I love my English department classes more than my Education classes. I've learned more about being an effective teacher from the English Department than I have from the College of Ed. I love the level of mastery the instructors in the English Department have and that they seem genuinely excited and eager to help their students grow as readers and writers.

    I'm looking forward to reading some of your work!

    -Eden

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Riley! I'm in STEM and writing is definitely one of my weaker points, so it's insane that you're able to write so much in that time frame. I also love the pets! I've been wanting to get one but my current building doesn't allow animals, so I'm hoping to have more freedom in that sense once I graduate or move somewhere else!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Riley, you have the cutest pets! Alos I think its super cool you are so into signs as I am on the opposite side of the spectrum lol. I believe I am a Leo but I have not really looked into what this could mean for me! Have a good winter break!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Riley! I loved seeing all of the pictures of your animals! I have never heard of an axolotol before, but the image you included was pretty cool. Also, 50 something essays in ONE SEMESTER?? I would want to drop out if that ever happened to me so you must love writing! Anyways, it was nice to meet you and good luck in your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts