Reading Notes: Homer's Iliad, Part B

 The Iliad by Homer (retold by A.J. Church)

- The fight over Patroclus' body reminds me of a dramatic battle scene. It might be interesting to take a perspective of Patroclus' ghost as he watches the people he knew fight over his body. 

- Achilles' reaction to Patroclus' death seemed kind of out of the blue. I love the agony that he expresses in the scene where he is told what has happened though. 

- I know it's kind of sick but I actually kind of admire Achilles' dragging Hector's body around the city in his grief. To me, it shows just how much he loved Patroclus and how heartbroken he is over his death. 

- It is interesting to me to be parted like I am on both sides: Priam's and Achilles'. I feel for them both equally and find it hard to choose one side over the other. It's quite unusual that I can't make up my mind one way or the other and I kind of like not being able to decide who is right and who is wrong. It would be fun to incorporate this idea into a story of my own where you're not really sure which side to choose. 

- I liked the ending wherein Achilles and Priam put aside their differences to reconcile over their joint losses. It's another theme that I find particularly interesting. 

Grief (Source: Wikimedia)

Bibliography: The Iliad by Homer (retold by A.J. Church. Website: Mythology and Folklore UN-Textbook

Comments

Popular Posts